Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Movie Entry #1 Camille Claudel

Laurie Troutman
Professor Larry Tung
Travel Learn: French Cinema
Diary # 1

Camille Claudel

Camille Claudel, directed by Bruno Nuytton, was made in 1988. Camille Claudel was a biography inspired from the true life of the real Claudel. It was a movie that marked her life, struggles, passions, and destruction. The film was set in Paris, France in the late 1880’s to early 1900’s. Camille Claudel, was a sculptor and an artist, who fell in love with another famous sculptor, Auguste Rodin. Rodin was played by French native Gerard Depardieu, who has also crossed over to some American films, like My Father the Hero. Playing leading lady Camille, was actress Isabelle Adjani. Isabelle was a co- producer on the film and was also nominated for best leading actress. As a result of the remarkable ensemble cast, and cinematography, in 1989 Camille Claudel was also nominated for best foreign film. In watching this film I was inspired to write a diary, a different form for the summary. The diary will however reflect what I saw in the film, and what happen in the film. I wrote the diary from Camille Claudel’s point of view, as something she would have possibly wrote, being stuck in the asylum recapturing her whole life.
Dear Diary,
I am a lonely older woman now, stuck in an asylum in a world all my own. But my earlier years were filled with endless hopes and possibilities. From childhood on, I knew I wanted to be a sculptor, an artist. I could remember in the early 1880’s in Paris, I would sneak away to steal clay time and time again. I was a working artist, starving for that recognition. Would anyone ever see my work as art? My question was answered when famous sculptor Auguste Rodin entered my workshop for the first time. My life began that moment. He looked at my work and saw my talent. Others thought I needed lessons, but Rodin knew I would get better with practice. To prove to them I could sculpt, I sculpted a foot from the hardest stone out there. This was the first thing I made for Rodin, which he later signed. However after all the difficult times, (that I will soon tell) I threw the foot into the river. I was filled with rage and hate. Because of that sculpted foot, Rodin wrote me a letter asking me to work at his workshop. I jumped for joy, I was so happy. Here’s my chance, my dream. I soon became an inspiration for Rodin. He no longer knew what moved him, thou he thought I knew what moved me.
Soon after Rodin and I began a love affair. He was twice my age, but I didn’t care. I was his side kick, model, confidante, and lover. Is this th only reason why he loved me? Because I gave him ideas, his muse. However I graved is love. Love was not something that poured out in my family, my mother especially. She hated my love of art. She called me filth, a boy and wished I was never born. I never fully recovered from the rejection of my mother. My lost love from my mother was found in Rodin. As he loved me I became whole. That love grew even more when I became pregnant, I wanted to marry him. That’s when my whole life took a dramatic turn. What about that other woman? He couldn’t make a decision, he was confused. I wanted him to leave Rose, but he couldn’t. She was a crazy woman, who didn’t want to give him up. I remember the day she came to me when I was working at the workshop. She tried to burn my hands and threatened to kill me. My life was spinning out of control. Rodin still didn’t leave Rose, and as a result I aborted our child. I found solace at my brother’s place. He was always there for me when I needed him. As well as my father was. He supported me in my career path in the arts. I could remember when my dad said how disappointed he was in some decisions I made, but he still loved me. That’s more then I can say for my mother. Now with my romantic bond with Rodin finished, I began doubting my work. Destroying all my work, smashing them into pieces is all I could think of. I felt like I was being bashed, my whole life being taken away as each piece of clay lied naked on the floor. Separated from it’s sculpted piece. Was my life sculpted? Do I belong here? I ‘am I insane?
So, therefore there’s my summary of the film Camille Claudel. I felt the movie to be powerful and beautiful. For being one of my first French films, I was pleasantly surprised. Although at one point in the film it began to drag on. It was nearly a three hour movie and could have been cut in some spots. However the chemistry and bond between the characters left me wanting more. Camille Claudel was an impulsive woman, but also impressive. She went for what she believed in, and that was sculpting. I did feel sad for her though. Towards the end of film when she became depressed. Seeing her destroy all her works troubled me. How can someone create those masterful pieces, to then destroy them? The cinematography brought the scenes to life. The beautiful landscapes, and back drops of Paris were surreal. Overall I enjoyed this film, and perhaps because it’s a biography of a woman’s dramatic life I enjoyed it even more. The film captured her legacy of art, and dramatic life.

No comments: